55316AC: Administering a SQL Database
This five-day instructor-led course provides students who administer and manage SQL Server and Azure SQL databases with the knowledge and skills needed to administer a SQL server database infrastructure. The material will also be useful to individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases. This material updates and replaces course 20764C.
The primary audience for this course is individuals who administer and maintain SQL Server databases. These individuals perform database administration and maintenance as their primary area of responsibility, or work in environments where databases play a key role in their primary job.
The secondary audiences for this course are individuals who develop applications that deliver content from SQL Server databases.
- Experience using applications on Windows Servers
- Experience working with SQL Server or another RDMS
After completing this course, students will be able to:
- Authenticate and authorize users
- Assign server and database roles
- Authorize users to access resources
- Use encryption and auditing features to protect data
- Describe recovery models and backup strategies
- Backup and restore SQL Server databases
- Automate database management
- Configure security for the SQL Server agent
- Manage alerts and notifications
- Managing SQL Server using PowerShell
- Trace access to SQL Server
- Monitor a SQL Server infrastructure
- Troubleshoot a SQL Server infrastructure
- Import and export data
Module 1: SQL Server Security
This module describes SQL Server security models, logins, users, partially contained databases, and cross-server authorization.
- Authenticating Connections to SQL Server
- Authorizing Logins to Connect to databases
- Authorization Across Servers
- Partially Contained Databases
Module 2: Assigning Server and Database Roles
This module explains how to use roles at the server and database level to manage user permissions.
- Working with server roles
- Working with Fixed Database Roles
- Assigning User-Defined Database Roles
Module 3: Authorizing Users to Access Resources
This module explains how to authorize users to access server and database roles. It also describes how to manage permissions at different levels in a SQL Server instance.
- Authorizing User Access to Objects
- Authorizing Users to Execute Code
- Configuring Permissions at the Schema Level
Module 4: Protecting Data with Encryption and Auditing
This module describes the available options for auditing and how to manage audit features. It also describes how to configure and implement data encryption.
- Options for auditing data access in SQL Server
- Implementing SQL Server Audit
- Managing SQL Server Audit
- Protecting Data with Encryption
Module 5: Recovery Models and Backup Strategies
In this module, you will learn how to use the available backup features for databases and transaction logs to create backup strategies.
- Understanding Backup Strategies
- SQL Server Transaction Logs
- Planning Backup Strategies
Module 6: Backing Up SQL Server Databases
In this module, you will learn how to apply various backup strategies.
- Backing Up Databases and Transaction Logs
- Managing Database Backups
- Advanced Database Options
Module 7: Restoring SQL Server Databases
In this module, you will see how to restore user and system databases and how to implement point-in-time recovery.
- Understanding the Restore Process
- Restoring Databases
- Advanced Restore Scenarios
- Point-in-Time Recovery
Module 8: Automating SQL Server Management
This module describes how to use SQL Server Agent to automate jobs, how to configure security contexts for jobs, and how to implement multiserver jobs.
- Automating SQL Server management
- Working with SQL Server Agent
- Managing SQL Server Agent Jobs
- Multi-server Management
Module 9: Configuring Security for SQL Server Agent
This module explains how to configure SQL Server Agent to use a minimal privilege security environment and how to use credentials and proxy accounts to run jobs securely.
- Understanding SQL Server Agent Security
- Configuring Credentials
- Configuring Proxy Accounts
Module 10: Monitoring SQL Server with Alerts and Notifications
This module covers the configuration of Database Mail, alerts, and notifications for a SQL Server instance, and the configuration of alerts for Microsoft Azure SQL Database.
- Monitoring SQL Server Errors
- Configuring Database Mail
- Operators, Alerts, and Notifications
- Alerts in Azure SQL Database
Module 11: Introduction to Managing SQL Server by using PowerShell
This module explains how to use Windows PowerShell with Microsoft SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. It also describes how to improve efficiency and reliability by scripting tasks and jobs.
- Getting Started with Windows PowerShell
- Configure SQL Server using PowerShell
- Administer and Maintain SQL Server with PowerShell
- Managing Azure SQL Databases using PowerShell
Module 12: Tracing Access to SQL Server with Extended events
This module explains how to monitor performance metrics for SQL Server and Azure SQL Database. It also describes troubleshooting strategies and usage scenarios for working with Extended Events.
- Extended Events Core Concepts
- Working with Extended Events
Module 13: Monitoring SQL Server
This module explains how to monitor databases with the goal of proactively dealing with potential issues. It also describes how to use the built-in tools provided to analyze instance and server activity.
- Monitoring activity
- Capturing and Managing Performance Data
- Analyzing Collected Performance Data
- SQL Server Utility
Module 14: Troubleshooting SQL Server
This module explains how to resolve common issues that may arise when working with SQL Server systems. It also describes a methodology for resolving general database server issues.
- A Trouble Shooting Methodology for SQL Server
- Resolving Service Related Issues
- Resolving Connectivity and Log-in issues
Module 15: Importing and Exporting Data
This module explains how to use SQL Server native tools to import and export data to and from SQL Server and Azure SQL Databases.
- Transferring Data to and from SQL Server
- Importing and Exporting Table Data
- Using bcp and BULK INSERT to Import Data
- Deploying and Upgrading Data-Tier Application